So let me begin by saying that Buber has some amazing ideas that can work very well in a Reform setting. He promotes a very personal relationship with Gd. However, he does not see the need to “prove” Gd exists (which I agree with, but some of our more rationalistic congregants may have trouble with)
Buber is interested in the relationships that are able to move past the distant I-It and into the holistic and “real” I-Thou. Buber’s definition of the I-Thou relationship is one in which the whole person is involved- and objectivity is inevitably lost. He describes it as the moments when two friends know what the other is trying to say without it needing to be said. This is the kind of relationship we should all strive to have with Gd as well.
Buber argues that by trying to have an I-It relationship we turn Gd into a thing- which he argues is a form of idolatry (where the image is mental not made of wodd or stone). He also says “apply the wrong way of knowing to people or to Gd and they remain hidden. Reach out to Gd as one does to another person, and the surprising yet obvious fact emerges: Gd may be found everywhere.” (pg 151-152). He argues against trying to have an “experience” but rather to let it happen as it does with love.
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment